The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Tuesday, May 3, 2011

CulinaryWorks

This week’s post is short and sweet because we are on a family vacation in Yosemite National Park where our Internet connection is quite slow.  I did, however, want to highlight CulinaryWorks … part of Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SARRC) in Phoenix.  CW is a program that teaches adults with autism, job-readiness skills.
Through real-life working, they receive on-the-job training which could then be used for other jobs.
They started locally with soup (local chefs, like Eddie Matney, helped them come up with the multiple recipes) sold in various local markets.
In addition, they added a full line of coffee products produced locally.  The adults roast and grind the beans, package and ship it all themselves.  I’m not just saying this, but I think it is the best coffee I’ve ever had!
With Mother’s Day quickly approaching, I thought this would be a good post as I already have a gift box with coffee and a mug on the way to my mother-in-law and plan on giving another to my mom (sorry to kill the surprise moms).
For more information on CW, click on this link: www.culinaryworks.org        
How can we get involved?
·         Support CW by purchasing and consuming their coffee and soups
·         Tell other people about your great culinary find!
A more in depth post on how to get more involved with SARRC will be coming later in the year.
“One day, all individuals living with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) will be acknowledged as independent, contributing members of our community.” (www.culinaryworks.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment