The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Thursday, July 7, 2011

Volunteer

Have you ever wanted to volunteer but you don’t know where or how to begin?  This week’s post highlights a few websites designed to help people get connected with their community.  I’m so happy there are organizations like these because it makes volunteering easier by clearly listing what’s needed on a day to day basis.

The first website I found, VolunteerMatch, is available to users all across the USA.  Just punch in your city and it should give you current volunteering opportunities within a 20 mile radius.  For example, when I punched in Phoenix, AZ, it gave me over 700 volunteer opportunities.


The following two organizations I listed are local (Phoenix, AZ).   One of my husband’s friends made a New Year’s resolution to volunteer more so he signed up for Phoenix Philanthropists and really enjoys it! This website is neat because it lists the volunteer job, plus, how many spots they still need to fill.

The Phoenix Philanthropists:

My friend, Anna, uses the following website when she wants to volunteer.  She too likes how easy it is to pick and choose from the list of jobs available. I like this website because it gives you age suggestions on the jobs available (i.e. 5 and up).

Phoenix Volunteers:

How can we get involved?
·         Check out one of the websites
·         Volunteer
·         browse other organizations’ websites that provide this type of service in your city

“If you think you’re too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.” ~Betty Reese

No comments:

Post a Comment