The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Monday, March 28, 2011

DonorsChoose and craigconnects

This week’s post is a 2-for-1 special and might involve some extra work!
One of the people who inspired me to do this blog is my friend and former colleague from my very first teaching gig, Brandy.  This past October she was visiting from L.A., and we got on the subject of donorschoose.org.  Donorschoose.org connects people who would like to "donate", to classrooms all over the country.  In Brandy's words, "It is an awesome site for people who want to donate to education.  You can pick from many classrooms across the US and donate any amount toward supplies needed for the classroom.  You can sort by grade level, subject area, and socioeconomic level.  It is easy to find schools in your area."  At the time, I had never heard of it but I thought it was an awesome idea.  Now I see Donorschoose.org everywhere and I’m glad it gets so much recognition because it is so needed!  You can read more about this organization from their website or from the following website I’m about to introduce.
A couple of weeks ago, another one of my friends and former colleagues (from my first teaching job) sent me an email stating, “you’re in good company.”  When I checked out the attached link, it was to a philanthropy site with an article about Craig Newmark, the “Craig” from craigslist and how he has a blog that highlights different non-profits as well. It is a great site, very professional and he chooses non-profits and charities he has had personal experience with as well as ones that meet the requirements of “Charity Navigator” (so you know where your money is actually going). 
So, my idea was to have you go through craigconnects.org to find more information about donorschoose.org.  You can find the information at the following link: http://craigconnects.org/2011/03/donorschoose-hp-netbook-to-connect-and-create-with-aussie-e-pals-2.html
Or the home site for DonorChoose is as follows:

How can we get involved?
Look at the sites!  Craig Newmark’s site has a lot of great information about wonderful charities and even has certain categories you can check out under the “areas of support” tab.
On the DonorsChoose site, you can look into different projects and maybe find one you personally think is important enough to support.  Try it outJ

“The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” ~Nelson Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment