The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Monday, March 21, 2011

TOMS Shoes

The first time I heard of TOMS shoes was when my oldest daughter, a global studies major in college, was giving me some ideas for different charities to write about.  She told me about TOMS and said practically all of her classmates in her major wore them.
TOMS was founded in 2006 by a young guy from the states who was inspired to help young children in Argentina fight hookworm and other diseases caused from the absence of shoes.  The founder wanted to do something more than just supply shoes for the children once, so he created TOMS with the idea that for every pair of shoes bought, one pair would be donated. 
As stated above, these shoes are pretty popular with college students in universities across the USA.  Once a year, many college students partake in the movement “One Day Without Shoes” and walk around for the day barefoot.
I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a pair of these shoes but the design takes after a shoe typically worn by peasant farmers in Argentina.  I own a pair of TOMS and I still can't believe how comfortable they are.  The style I chose is very earthy, in fact, they’re made of burlap but I like them just the same.   



If you want to know more about this organization, check out the website:

How can we get involved?
-Check out the selection of shoes that are offered.  You can purchase the shoes from the website or from local retailers listed on the site.
-The website gives information on the “One Day Without Shoes” movement taking place this April 5.

I was curious as to why the shoes are named TOMS and not BLAKE’S as Blake is the name of the founder.  TOMS is short for the “Shoes for Tomorrow Project.”
“There is no TOM.  We like to say that everyone is TOM, because what TOM stands for, it’s a derivative of the word “tomorrow” and the idea that we have a better tomorrow.” ~Blake Mycoskie (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/the-th-interview-toms-1.php)

No comments:

Post a Comment