The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Monday, January 3, 2011

Achilles International

Achilles International is the first non-profit I’m going to highlight to kick off the “New Year” as it has been on my mind for over five years.
In 2005, I ran in the New York City Marathon.   About a week before I left for New York, a good friend of mine told me about the Achilles Track Club.  Her friend had run the NYC marathon the year before as a volunteer of Achilles.  He led one of members with a visual impairment throughout the course.   While in NY, I spotted the Achilles Track Club immediately at packet pick-up as the members and volunteers were all wearing their red shirts.  During the race I remember seeing so many members of the club and hearing the constant “Go Achilles!” from the crowd.  After the race, I don’t know how, but I found my way to the President of Achilles and told him I wanted to start an Arizona chapter.  Well, it has been over five years and there is no chapter in Arizona.  I haven’t forgotten my promise and have even been haunted by it as Achilles is often mentioned in Runner’s World.  After I decided to do this blog for 2011, I looked into Achilles again.  I have a few resolutions for this year, one being an already failed attempt to limit the amount of sugar I eat on a daily basis.  The major one is to start the Achilles Track Club: Scottsdale Chapter, before 2012 gets here.  Incidentally, it’s my same good friend who told me I should choose Achilles as my first post to make a commitment to finally start the team!   
.

This website gives loads of information about what Achilles is, how it got started AND what states/cities have a chapter.  I believe there are about 18 states that have an Achilles Track Club and over 80 clubs internationally.

How can we get involved?:  If you have any interest at all in exercising, check out the website and see if you can be a volunteer for your local chapter.  If you see that your area does not have one and you are feeling extra ambitious, start a chapter in your area.  The president of Achilles is a real hoot to talk to and gives an incredible amount of support by being so accessible (even though he’s in NY!).
If you live in the valley and are interested in helping me out…I’d love it! 

If we don’t have time, what can we do?:  Like most non-profits, Achilles International takes donations.

I'm pretty sure it was Eleanor Roosevelt who stated “it is not fair to ask of others what you are unwilling to do yourself.”  I think that will be my mantra as I write this over the next 52 weeks.

Update, 3/16/11:
Check out our progress:)  http://www.achillesscottsdale.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Good job Angie.

    I cannot offer much support to Achilles but keep up the good work on this blog. Like everything, it will take some time and patience, but I am sure you will make a difference in the lives of those you shine the light on.

    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    On behalf of everyone at Achilles, thank you so much for stepping up to give chapter development in Scottsdale a go. Featuring one worthwhile charity each week on your blog is a great idea and Achilles is honored to be chosen for the very first post!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Angie,
    "Ripple Effect" is the greatest name for your blog. It's what I think of when I think of you. A small stone, tossed in the water, and the rings grow and grow and grow, reaching the shore, evolving as they spread. It's so true that one small thing can result in something big over time. So far, this commitment of yours is giving two athletes some support to do great stuff. It will be exciting to see how many find out about Achilles Scottsdale over the next year and how many races they'll all be able to compete in and new challenges they'll take on by making a few new connections to people who care. THANK YOU! Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete