The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Monday, January 10, 2011

Angel Mamas

This blog isn’t just about charities, but also the people behind them.  I dedicate this post to all of my girlfriends out there, as you came to mind when I learned about Shira’s charity, Angel Mamas.

Shira is a college friend of mine with whom I have just recently reconnected.  She still has one of the biggest, most beautiful smiles of anyone I know and has the heart to match.  She is currently a stay at home mom of three. Oh yeah, she is also the founder of an incredibly successful charity that started with a handful of her friends over two years ago and now has over 200 members and counting.
Shira’s story about how it all began is awesome because I know so many of us can relate.  I think I should start by stating the following:  In my experience, although a blessing, becoming a stay at home mom was a difficult transition for reasons I didn't expect.  I don't think it hit me until I had to leave the occupation line blank on some paperwork at the Dr.'s.  My career was a big part of my identity and although it was/is being temporarily replaced with being up to my eyeballs in God knows what kind of bodily function stickiness from my kids and all of the other beauties mommihood entails, I sometimes struggle with feeling like I am not being productive enough. Shira calls the feelings that moms have after all of the rushing around, changing diapers, etc., the "mommy grind."  After her second child, she too was feeling the "mommy grind" and felt that although she was grateful for her life, something was missing and she wanted to be doing something more to help others.  In 2008, after watching “Oprah’s Big Give," Shira came up with this amazing idea to give back to the community.  In Shira’s words, she actually had goose-bumps when she called her sister to tell her about her idea.
The first event Shira planned was a baby shower.  All of the gifts went to a charity and because it was such a success she and her friends started brainstorming and planning more events to help out the community.  Thus became the birth of Angel Mamas! 
This organization is mostly a third party organization as they are constantly doing activities, volunteering and hosting events for other non-profits who help children, women and families.  Shira told me one of her favorite events was when they treated the teenage girls from their “focus” charity to updos.  Even I will admit that having fancy hair is a good time...

Angel Mamas is an organization run solely by volunteers.  More information about Angel Mamas can be found on their website: http://www.angelmamas.org/

How can we get involved?  Locally, they make it super easy.  Their website gives “needs lists” for their “focus” charity and also displays volunteer opportunities available.  One can also become a member for $35. 
If you don't live in the valley, contact Shira and start an Angel Mamas in your area.  Shira loves the idea of having Angel Mamas chapters across the USA! 

If we don’t have time, what can we do?  We can give a donation or purchase their merchandise to support their organization. 

Shira, you're an inspiration!

God bless the Mamas who stay at home.  And God bless the working mamas, part-time and full-time.  But most of all, God bless our girlfriends without kids who graciously listen to us commiserate whenever we do get out of the house!

1 comment:

  1. Whew, I'm about to join the mama track.

    This is a great idea..I can't act on it now, but I know some SAHM here who might be interested.

    ReplyDelete