The Good News

The title of this section is called "The Good News" because this blog is about the amazing things people do to help others, and isn't that good news? I now have a few helpers of my own to keep this blog going. Hopefully you can use this as a resource when you are looking for ways to help or share your talents.







Monday, January 17, 2011

Native American Connections

Native American Connections (NAC) is the organization I’d like to highlight this week.  Like Angel Mamas and Achilles International, it started because of an idea and grew into an incredible organization. 
NAC has a really interesting history.  In 1972 five Native American men had the idea of helping out others in downtown Phoenix but ended up needing help themselves.  What started as a recovery program for one group of men, formerly called Indian Rehabilitation, NAC grew into a hugely successful organization now operating out of 15 sites. One of the many functions of NAC I find so awesome is how they serve their clients because it's much more than just performing a service.  NAC follows their clients from the day they enter their site until their clients get back on their feet … and then some!  By offering support through behavioral services as well as finding solutions for their clients' housing predicaments, NAC acts as a constant guide.  The fact that over two hundred employees at NAC were at one time clients and in need of help speaks volumes about the program. 
I feel so lucky to know one of the hearts and minds behind this remarkable organization ... the CEO of Native American Connections .. Diana Devine.  As silly as it sounds, I always find myself wanting to get Dede’s autograph whenever I see her because I feel like maybe if I did, her wonderful ways would magically rub off on me!  She truly is one of the neatest people I have ever met. 

Please check out their website as I didn’t even begin to describe how many wonderful programs they offer:

How can we get involved?: 
There are many volunteering opportunities.  On NAC's website, click on Jobs and then click on Volunteers.  There is an explanation for what volunteers can do as well as an application to fill out and submit. 
For a quick and fun way to help out, you're in luck!  Sign up for The Rising Stars 5K Run.  The event is on Sunday and all of the proceeds benefit NAC. 
To register,
www.dcbadventures.com  (The Rising Stars 5K Run)
Packet pick-up is offered at a few of the NAC locations, which would be a cool way to check it out first-hand!
If you are not from the valley, there is a handy tab appropriately named “donate.”


Indian Blessing:
Let us walk softly on the Earth
with all living beings great and small
remembering as we go, that one God
kind and wise created all

2 comments:

  1. Angie...when I first met you, the first thing I thought was...Angie is a little "Dede" in the making. I would take an autograph from both of you...and cherish them both. :) I love what you are doing here. I am checking your blog weekly. Thank you for being you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete